From starring in sweeter versions of spicy salsa to making a name for itself as a mainstay of margarita nights everywhere, mango sure seems to be the go-to fruit of the moment! If you have a bit of extra time on your hands (and a good quality juicer!), you can certainly whip up your own fresh mango juice to get your daily dose of liquid gold in. For the rest of us, store bought brands are here to save the day!
Most grocery stores and markets are stacked with mango juice brands and varieties, giving you a ton of options. If all of this variety has left you with a freshly diagnosed case of analysis paralysis, know that it happens to the best of us, and that we’ve got your back! We sipped on almost twenty different mango-based fruit juices in order to determine the best in each of 6 categories. Bottoms up!
What is Mango Juice?
You might think that all one has to do to make mango juice is to squeeze a few ripe mangoes, simple as that. Not so fast, however! The fruit juice that is extracted from real mangoes is far too thick to drink as a “juice”, and generally must be altered in order to make it drinkable.
What Types of Mango Juice Are There?
Due to the inherent thickness of mango juice, many mango drinks consist of a mixture of several fruit juices while products sold as mango nectar are generally mango pulp mixed with water. You can read all about the differences between nectars and juices in our Nectar vs. Juice guide!
Mango Juice Brands We Tested
As we took the necessary steps towards hydrating ourselves with as many different varieties of this golden elixir as possible, we were faced with a near endless range of mango juice types. We settled on 19 different choices which represented a range of products, from mango juice smoothies and blends to sparkling mango juice and mango nectar.
Here are all of the different mango juices we tasted and evaluated:
- 365 Whole Foods Market Organic Mango Immune Refresher
- Bolthouse Farms Amazing Mango
- Ceres 100% Juice Blend-Mango
- Goya Mango Nectar
- Hero Mango Nectar
- Izze Sparkling Mango Juice
- Juicy Juice 100% Juice-Mango
- Koia Magic Mango Plant Based Fruit Smoothie
- Lakewood Organic Mango Blend
- Langer's Mongo Mango Juice Cocktail
- Looza Mango Juice
- Naked Juice Mighty Mango
- Ocean Spray Cran-Mango Juice Drink
- Santa Cruz Organic Orange Mango Juice
- Trader Joe's Mango 100% Juice Smoothie
- Trader Joe's Organic Mango Nectar
- V8 Peach Mango 100% Juice
- V8 Plus Energy Peach Mango Juice
- Welch's Mango Twist Fruit Juice
Allergen/Dietary Note: Most of the mango juice options we tested were pretty friendly as far as allergens go! All of the options are gluten free and dairy free as well as feature low salt and low fat contents.
However, not all of these choices are vegan as some may contain processed sugar and or/artificial coloring--ingredients which many folks who eat plant based prefer to avoid.
Ranking the Best Mango Juice Brands: Our Methodology
In order to most effectively judge such a wide range of different juice products, we organized our mango juice into 6 different categories of review: Best Pure Mango Juice, Best Mango Juice Blend, Most Nutritious Mango Juice, Best Mango Juice Smoothie, Best Organic Mango Juice, and Best Specialty Mango Juice.
To assess the ranking of each juice, we took the following criteria into consideration:
- Taste & Texture: always one of the most important factors when it comes to evaluating food products is addressing the most pressing issue of taste! Texture is a key characteristic alongside flavor as it greatly impacts how we experience a food or beverage.
- Appearance: we look for juices that have a nice cohesive appearance--any floating bits or a lot of separation are never very appetizing--and an overall attractive coloring.
- Nutrition Content: nutritional value is a key player when it comes to juices as health benefits are a big reason why many folks opt to consume these products! When it comes to mango juices we place a lot of weight on qualities like vitamin and mineral content, sugar content, and overall calorie content.
- Value: the mango juices we evaluated came in a wide range of size options so we made things standard by calculating the price per ounce of each juice we tested.
- Production & Availability: taking into consideration where and how each mango juice is produced as well as how readily available it is to most shoppers.
- Unique Characteristics: including factors such as unique ingredients or flavors, quality of the packaging, and any useful factors of the product labeling.
Best Pure Mango Juice: Looza Mango Juice
First things first, we set out to nail down the best pure mango juice we could find. Now we say “pure” but as mentioned above, straight mango juice is actually well, not very juicy. Therefore even the “pure” mango juice varieties are mixed with water to make them palatable.
The key to this category however is that the mango puree not be mixed with other juices or competing ingredients, resulting in a product that is about as close to fresh mango juice as you can get!
Reviewing Looza Mango Juice
Here is how Looza Mango Juice scored in each of our criteria categories:
- Taste & Texture: 4.⅘.0
- Appearance: 4.7/5.0
- Nutrition Content: 4.5/5.0
- Value: 4.8/5.0
- Production & Availability:5.0/5.0
- Unique Characteristics: 4.6/5.0
- Overall Score: 4.7
Looza is a Belgium based sub-organization of beverage powerhouse Tropicana, so it should come as no surprise that this one ranks as a top contender for the best mango juice! Looza offers a ton of different juices and beverages and we were pleased to find one of these to be such a straight up, pure mango juice product!
The ingredients label features nothing more than water, mango puree concentrate, and sugar. No additives, no other juices, and nothing to muddy that bright mango flavor! It contains 38% juice, which on first thought, doesn't sound like much but is actually the highest of all the pure mango juice options we evaluated. It also features the lowest added sugar of all of the pure mango juices we tested, with just 18 grams added sugar per serving!
As far as pure mango juices go, we especially love the texture and appearance of Looza Mango Juice. The coloring of this beverage is bright and sunny yellow-orange and the consistency is a happy medium between juice and nectar. Also, this bottle of mango juice stood out in terms of appearance from go! It comes in the coolest pyramid-esque glass bottle with a fun patterned label--two seemingly small details that really help to set it apart from other mango juice options.
As far as taste, unfortunately, this one was definitely not our absolute favorite. While it scored extremely well across the board, we noticed this mango juice had that slightly funky aroma that sometimes accompanies other heat-sealed items such as canned fruits and vegetables.
Also, perhaps due to its international origins, we were bummed to not be able to find much in the way of nutrient content on the packaging! With a fruit puree content of near 40% you can be sure that there are noteworthy quantities of at least a few vitamins and minerals in there but alas, the nutrition panel did not make mention of anything aside from the basic macros and sodium.
- Contains only 3 ingredients: water, concentrated mango puree, and sugar!
- Has a strong and straightforward mango flavor with a texture that is nicely balanced between a juice and a puree.
- Has the highest juice percentage of all of the “pure” mango juices and nectars we tested, at 38%.
- Features the lowest added sugar content of all of the juices in this category, with just 18 grams per 8-ounce serving.
- The brilliantly yellow-orange coloring just screams mango!
- We loved the packaging of this one, as the juice is in a uniquely shaped glass bottle with a cheerfully patterned label.
- Overall flavor and aroma was not the greatest as it had a bit of that slightly funky "canned" smell if you know what we mean!
- There was no mention of vitamin or mineral content on the nutrition label, even though we know there’s gotta be some in there!
Best Mango Juice Blend: 365 Whole Foods Market Organic Mango Immune Refresher
Where pure mango juices and nectars are diluted with water, mango juice blends are diluted with and made more palatable by the addition of juices from other fruits! This allows these types of products to feature a 100% juice content.
These types of juice blends may also be referred to as “mango juice cocktails” or “mango drinks”, with the latter generally featuring the lowest juice percentages of all.
Reviewing 365 Whole Foods Market Organic Mango Immune Refresher
Here is how 365 Whole Foods Market Organic Mango Immune Refresher scored in each of our criteria categories:
- Taste & Texture: 4.8/5.0
- Appearance: 4.7/5.0
- Nutrition Content: 4.7/5.0
- Value: 4.8/5.0
- Production & Availability:4.8/5.0
- Unique Characteristics: 4.7/5.0
- Overall Score: 4.8
Though this bottle of juice didn’t have the word “mango” splashed all over the front, with just a quick scan of the key juices that make up this blend, it was obvious that mango played a starring role. We scooped it up and boy are we glad we did!
This 365 Whole Foods Market Organic Mango Immune Refresher is a true juice blend and really drinks like one, packing plenty of flavor but still going down nice and easy. It is composed of well-known ingredients like mango juice, apple juice, orange juice, and lemon juice, as well as one lesser-known guest: the baobab fruit! This orange-fleshed fruit hails from regions of Africa and Australia and is so believed to be packed with health benefits--such as balancing blood sugars and reducing inflammation--that it is also sold in powder and supplement form.
On top of all of the goodness from the baobab fruit, this juice blend features a walloping 135 milligrams of vitamin C (that's over 130% of your recommended daily intake), as well as a bit of potassium. We love that this product is certified vegan and certified organic, as well as is non-GMO verified. And yes, it is 100% juice with zero grams of added sugars, having been naturally sweetened by the addition of less tangy juices like apple and orange.
The only downside we could pick out about the 365 Whole Foods Market Organic Mango Immune Refresher is that it has quite a strong flavor. Maybe it’s the inclusion of that striking baobab fruit or perhaps it’s the fact that it includes both mango puree as well as additional flavor, but either way, the result is one beverage that will punch you right in the taste buds. If you’d like a more mellow experience, try mixing your Mango Immune Refresher with a bit of sparkling or plain water!
- Has a super drinkable texture with all of the goodness of a 100% juice blend!
- Contains juice of the baobab fruit, which gives additional health and immune system boosting benefits.
- Provides 135% your daily value of vitamin C as well as 6% your daily value of potassium.
- Certified vegan.
- Certified organic by Quality Assurance International.
- Non-GMO verified.
- Does not contain any added sugars.
- Features a fairly strong flavor profile due to the combination and intensity of juices used, you may want to mix this one with a bit of water for easier drinking!
Most Nutritious Mango Juice: Lakewood Organic Mango Blend
As we’ve learned so far, most good quality mango juice will possess plenty of essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients as these are inherent features of the fruit juice itself. Throughout our evaluations however, we certainly discovered that some options are far superior to others in the nutrition department!
Reviewing Lakewood Organic Mango Blend
Here is how Lakewood Organic Mango Blend scored in each of our criteria categories:
- Taste & Texture: 4.6/5.0
- Appearance: 4.⅖.0
- Nutrition Content: 5.0/5.0
- Value: 4.5/5.0
- Production & Availability:4.6/5.0
- Unique Characteristics: 4.8/5.0
- Overall Score: 4.6
With a bit of research, we found Lakewood to be an entirely impressive company, as they have been involved in the art of juice making since 1935! To this day, the company is still owned and operated independently by the same family that founded the company close to 90 years ago, resulting in a through-line of consistent quality that is completely apparent in their line of products.
Our selection of Lakewood Organic Mango Blend as the winner of our most nutritious category came down to not just the nutrient content of this all-natural juice, but also a number of other health-minded factors that went into the production of this juice blend. Since there are a full 3 pounds of fresh fruit used to produce each and every bottle of juice, you can bet that each features a high quantity of vitamins and minerals. Per each and every 8-ounce serving Lakewood’s Mango Blend includes: 360 milligrams (8% DV) of potassium, 63 milligrams (70% DV) of vitamin C, 40 micrograms (10% DV) of folate, 70 micrograms (8% DV) of vitamin A, and .3 milligrams (2% DV) of iron.
There are no artificial colors or preservatives to be seen, and actually no other ingredients at all aside from organic mango juice, organic apple juice, and organic lemon juice. This juice is also vegan friendly, verified by an express statement on the Lakewood website that all of their products--except for those that contain honey--are completely free from animal products, by-products, or derivatives. Their juices are certified organic by Quality Assurance International and non-GMO verified. And, they even offer assurances that the glass used to bottle these juices is sustainable and free from chemicals.
Sadly, for as good as this mango juice is in terms of health benefits, it scored the lowest in terms of looks. Even before opening the bottle and pouring, we found the pale, yellowish-brown coloring of the juice to be pretty off-putting. The juice is also extremely thick and un-homogenous, making it a bit gloppy to pour unless you are sure to shake it extremely well.
It also features the highest price tag (not counting the smoothie-style juices which we grouped into a different cost category), coming in at $.21 per ounce.
- Comes from an independent and family-owned juice company which prides itself on product quality and health minded choices.
- Each bottle of juice represents the yield of 3 full pounds of fresh fruits.
- Delivers an impressive nutrient profile with useful quantities of potassium, folate, vitamin A, iron, and vitamin C.
- The only ingredients are organic juices--no additives, artificial flavors, or preservatives.
- Vegan friendly.
- Certified organic and non-GMO.
- Packed in glass bottles that are assured to be chemical free–no leeching!
- Is the least attractive of all of the mango juice options, having a pretty unappetizing color and overall inconsistent texture.
- Most expensive of all of the mango juices we tested, costing $.21 per ounce.
Best Mango Juice Smoothie: Koia Magic Mango Plant Based Fruit Smoothie
You’ve surely seen those bottled, ready to drink fruit and vegetable based smoothies at your supermarket, or even in the refrigerated case at your favorite deli or gas station!
These beverages are different from regular juice in terms of their texture--they tend to be much thicker--as well as generally have a higher nutrient density. Such characteristics make these convenient smoothie products filling and substantial enough to be part of a meal or healthy snack!
Reviewing Koia Magic Mango Plant Based Fruit Smoothie
Here is how Koia Magic Mango Plant Based Fruit Smoothie scored in each of our criteria categories:
- Taste & Texture: 4.7/5.0
- Appearance: 4.⅘.0
- Nutrition Content: 4.8/5.0
- Value: 4.⅗.0
- Production & Availability:4.5/5.0
- Unique Characteristics: 4.9/5.0
- Overall Score: 4.6
Though supremely tasty, let’s face it, many of the popular brands of pre-bottled juice smoothies are a bit dessert-like. They tend to be loaded with sugar--up to 62 grams per single serving bottle we found! Therefore, we were extra happy to come across one fruit smoothie brand dedicated to doing things a bit differently.
The Koia Magic Mango Plant Based Fruit Smoothie strays from the well-worn recipe of drinkable fruit juice smoothies by tossing in ingredients other than fruit juices and pulps! While still rich in fresh mango juice flavor, they were able to deliver a product with far less sugar than the competitors by mixing their smoothie base with coconut water, coconut milk, and stevia. Pea protein and ground chia seeds add a boost of protein--4 grams per serving!--while also bringing some pleasant thickness and a creamy texture to the smoothie itself.
This ingenious mixture enables this delicious mango juice smoothie to feature only 120 calories and 9 grams of sugar per serving, which is dramatically lower than its super rich counterparts. In addition, it also provides an impressive panel of vitamins and minerals: 64 milligrams (4% DV) of calcium, 1 milligram (6% DV) of iron, 387 milligrams (8% DV) of potassium, 195 micrograms (20% DV) of vitamin A, and 18 milligrams (20% DV) of vitamin C. In addition, this smoothie contains prebiotics for some healthy gut action as well as is non-GMO verified!
On the downside, this was both the smallest and the most expensive mango juice smoothie, offering just 12 ounces in that little bottle and a price tag of $.31 per ounce at our store. Also, this smoothie sadly pales in comparison--literally!--to the other mango juice smoothies. Most other options have various shades of bright orange and brilliant yellow coloring, whereas the Koia Magic Mango smoothie is a bit sallow. And if you’re not a fan of that “fake” sweetener flavor, this might not be the smoothie for you as it does contain both stevia and monk fruit extract.
- Far lower in sugar and calories than other bottled fruit smoothie options, without sacrificing mango flavor!
- Contains pea protein and ground chia seeds which offer 4 grams of protein per serving.
- Has a pleasantly thick and creamy texture thanks to the coconut milk and chia seeds.
- Provides several important vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Contains gut health-boosting prebiotic fiber.
- Non-GMO verified.
- Is the smallest of all mango smoothie options, as well as the most expensive per ounce.
- Has a fairly pale coloring which is not as attractive-looking as the competitors.
- Does have noticeable flavors of stevia and monk fruit making it not ideal for anyone who is sensitive to the presence of alternative sweeteners.
Best Organic Mango Juice: Santa Cruz Organic Orange Mango Juice
The fact is, it's tough to grow fruit according to organic standards as animals and pests seem to love sweet and succulent fruits as much as we humans do, and the plants require a great deal of nutrients to generate a successful yield of fruit.
These difficulties tend to make organic juices fewer and further between, and therefore an especially important category of review when it comes to juices which are composed mostly--if not entirely--of fruit.
Reviewing Santa Cruz Organic Orange Mango Juice
Here is how Santa Cruz Organic Orange Mango Juice scored in each of our criteria categories:
- Taste & Texture: 5.0/5.0
- Appearance: 5.0/5.0
- Nutrition Content: 4.8/5.0
- Value: 4.6/5.0
- Production & Availability: 4.8/5.0
- Unique Characteristics: 4.7/5.0
- Overall Score: 4.8
Santa Cruz is a fully organic company, and actually was a key player in the development of the pre-packaged organic food industry! They offer an extensive line of fruit juices and purees, and their Orange Mango blend actually happens to be our absolute favorite in terms of taste.
In addition to mango juice of course, this 100% juice blend is rounded out by the complimentary flavors of apple juice, orange juice, and banana puree. Aside from these extractions, the only other ingredients are natural flavor and beta carotene, which helps this juice to achieve its brilliantly orange and insanely appetizing coloring.
As is a must for any winner of the Best Organic category, Santa Cruz Organic Orange Mango Juice is certified organic by Quality Assurance International as well as non-GMO verified. This juice also was our runner up in terms of nutrition, as it features a fairly low sugar content but still manages to provide 317 milligrams (6% DV) of potassium and 629 micrograms (70%DV!) of vitamin A. We also love that this company expresses their dedication to sustainability in all facets of their business, right down to partnering only with fruit farmers who share these same environmental ideals.
Though this juice is, in a word, delicious, we unfortunately found it to have the least distinguishable mango flavor out of the products we evaluated, tasting a bit heavy on the banana and orange flavors instead. Toss a bit more mango in the next batch, we say! And, as is the case with many organic products, Santa Cruz's Organic Orange Mango Juice also rings in at the top of our price range, costing us nearly $.20 per ounce. This is nearly double many of the other 100% juice blends we included in our studies!
- Boasts the tastiest, most refreshing flavor out of all the 19 brands and varieties we tasted!
- Comes from a company so dedicated to sustainability, that they helped put organic products on the map!
- Very simple ingredients list--just juices, natural flavors, and beta carotene.
- Certified organic and non-GMO verified.
- Has a lower than average sugar content and provides good levels of potassium and vitamin A.
- Has the least mango-y flavor out of the juices we tested and evaluated.
- At the upper end of the price range, costing almost twice the amount per ounce that other 100% juices go for.
Best Specialty Mango Juice: V8 Plus Energy Peach Mango Juice
Some mango beverage options may not be the glass of juice you're looking for at breakfast time or to mix into your cocktails, but they do have merit and fall into a category of their own. For all of the beverage options which may not be exactly what you have in mind when you think of mango juice, the Specialty Mango Juice category is it!
Reviewing V8 Plus Energy Peach Mango Juice
Here is how V8 Plus Energy Peach Mango Juice scored in each of our criteria categories:
- Taste & Texture: 4.5/5.0
- Appearance: 4.6/5.0
- Nutrition Content: 4.6/5.0
- Value: 5.0/5.0
- Production & Availability:4.5/5.0
- Unique Characteristics: 5.0/5.0
- Overall Score: 4.7
In classic V8 brand fashion, this juice is packed with not only plenty of refreshing fruit juice, but the goodness of real veggies as well! This combined with the energy-drink like qualities made it a standout in terms of uniqueness.
The blend of juices in V8 Plus Energy Peach Mango Juice stars mango of course, plus the addition of sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, peaches, and oranges! All of this produce patch goodness comes together to provide you with 1 full serving of fruits + vegetables per 8-ounce can and a multivitamin’s worth of nutrients. Each serving of this delicious juice contains 110 milligrams (2% DV) of potassium, 20 milligrams (10% DV) of vitamin C, 3.2 milligrams (20% DV) of niacin, .34 milligrams (20% DV) of vitamin B6, and .48 mcg (20% DV) vitamin B12.
Despite all of this nutritional value, this mango juice option still manages to be the lowest in calorie content out of all 19 brands and varieties we studied, containing only 50 calories per can. Also, it is quite low in sugar, with just 11 grams of naturally occurring sugar per serving. And for a little boost of energy, also included per serving is about 80 milligrams of caffeine derived from tea. This is just a bit less than the amount provided by a standard cup of coffee, making it not a bad way to start the day if you ask us!
Sadly, the overall flavor of V8 Plus Energy Peach Mango Juice is a bit on the watery side. In addition, part of the reason they are able to keep the sugar content so low is that they have opted to include sucralose, making this choice not ideal for anyone who prefers to avoid artificial sweeteners.
And, a little bit nitpicky but we found the labeling of the cans of juice as well as the outer shrink wrap our 6-pack came in to be so difficult to read! Not ideal for us as we were working to glean as much information from the packaging of each mango juice we evaluated, nor any well-informed consumer.
- Contains both fruit and vegetable juice ingredients, providing 1 whole serving of produce per 8-ounce can.
- Delivers a ton of nutrients such as potassium, vitamin C, niacin, and several B vitamins.
- Is supremely low calorie, providing just 50 calories per 8-ounce serving, the least of all of the mango juices we tested.
- Features a low quantity of naturally occurring sugar--no added sugars here.
- Gives an energy boost thanks to 80 milligrams of caffeine content.
- Has a slightly watery flavor–could have done with a bit more juice if you ask us!
- Contains sucralose (known under the brand name Splenda), an artificial sweetener that some folks would prefer to avoid.
- The labeling is done in a very difficult to read color combination.
Mango Juice FAQs
What Type of Mango is Used to Make Juice?
There are actually hundreds of different mango cultivars. Some are sweet and juicy, while others are fibrous and sour! When it comes to most any mango juice you're bound to encounter, whether store bought or homemade, it will most likely be pressed from juicy varieties like Alphonso mangoes or Kesar mangoes.
When Should You Drink Mango Juice?
Simply put, any time you want to drink mango juice is a good time to do so! To reap the most health benefits from your juice, it is advisable to drink mango juice on its own when your stomach is fairly empty, as opposed to enjoying it as a beverage with your meal or consuming it afterwards.
Is Bottled Mango Juice Good for You?
Seeing as many bottled juice options are pasteurized--meaning subjected to high heat in order to make them shelf stable--these products often have experienced some nutrient loss as compared to fresher versions of the same juice.
That said, the convenience offered by bottled mango juice makes it far more likely that you'll consume the juice regularly. Therefore these ready-to-drink products are still a completely valuable nutrient resource!
Final Thoughts on the Best Mango Juice Brands
Whether you prefer to drink your mango juice straight up for breakfast, poured over ice for an afternoon pick me up, or are planning to incorporate it into your favorite mango juice recipe, there is surely a sweet and vibrant beverage option to suit your needs.
Of course, if you find yourself with a squeeze of lime juice, your trusty margarita machine, and spirits of your choice--go right ahead and host that margarita night you've been talking about!
Be sure to drop us a line and let us know how you mango!