When you think of a summertime barbecue, so many wonderful things come to mind, but always mac & cheese. An absolute crowd-pleaser of a dish, a favorite among children and adults, we all know there is nothing more comforting.Well, you’ll also find comfort in knowing this version is all veggie, no pasta. Here we’re substituting noodles for cauliflower and making a creamy, cheesy sauce to toss it in. You won’t miss the carbs, trust us.
Use your favorite cheese or a blend of a few mac & cheese classics like sharp cheddar, gruyere, monterey jack, etc. Our cauliflower “mac” is topped with some parmesan to add a little extra salty crispiness on the top once baked.There’s also no need to bake if you like a less firm mac & cheese, feel free to enjoy this dish once it’s been mixed in the sauce on the stove. We’re sure any which way you chose to prepare it, you’ll love it. Enjoy!
- 8 cup Cauliflower Florets chopped. 1/2-inch pieces (26oz)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Onions minced
- 3 tbsp flour use an all-purpose GF flour if you’d like
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 8 ounces Cheddar Freshly grated. you can use gruyere or blend (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- Place chopped cauliflower on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt.Roast for about 15 minutes, until golden
- Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes, until translucent
- Season with 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper and nutmeg
- Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3-4 minutes, then slowly add the milk and continue whisking. Bring this mixture to a low boil and whisk until it becomes thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese, 1/4 cup at a time mixing well until cheese is all melted.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower and cover with parmesan and cracked pepper. The mac n cheese is ready to serve like this, or pour into a baking dish and bake until bubbly and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Then broil 2 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned