Whip up some homemade cream of mushroom soup in just 30 minutes! Ideal for busy weeknights, this soup is comfortingly warm and great to use in casseroles and other creamy dishes.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Totally Vegan- Creamy mushroom soup is totally dairy-free and vegan-friendly, making it a wonderfully comforting dish for any mushroom lover.
Creamy and Delicious- Coconut milk gives this soup a delicious creaminess you can't resist!
Fast and Easy- This mushroom soup recipe comes together in about 30 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal!
What Is Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
Cream of mushroom soup is a classic creamy soup recipe that relies heavily on dairy products like butter and heavy cream, chicken broth or chicken stock, spices, and fresh mushrooms. However, this version is totally vegan-friendly thanks to the use of dairy-free milk in place of any dairy! The result is a delicious, creamy mushroom soup that's so good you won't miss the dairy at all!
- Cutting Board
- Blender (Hand Mixer, Stand Mixer, or Immersion Blender)
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Olive Oil- Used to saute mushrooms and other veggies.
- White Onion- Adds flavor to the soup base.
- Portobello Mushrooms- Adds a delicious earthy mushroom flavor to the soup.
- Mushroom Caps- Adds a meaty texture to the soup.
- Garlic Cloves- Garlic creates a delightful, aromatic taste.
- Potatoes- Gives this cream of mushroom soup a hearty texture.
- Cashews- Provides a creamy, nutty flavor.
- Fresh Thyme- Enhances the flavor of the soup.
- Dry White Wine- Such as sauvignon blanc, adds a rich depth of flavor.
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk- Homemade or a canned version. Makes this vegan cream of mushroom soup creamy and indulgent!
- Vegetable Stock- Provides a rich, flavorful base for the soup.
- Salt- Enhances all of the flavors in your cream of mushroom soup.
- Ground Black Pepper- To taste.
How To Make The Best Mushroom Soup
To get ready for cooking, wash and cut your vegetables. Then, heat olive oil on medium heat in a pan.
Add mushrooms, chopped onion, garlic, and potato to the pan and saute for a few minutes. After browning the vegetables, add spices, thyme, dairy-free milk, wine, and veggie stock. Let the mushroom mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
Blend the cashews with the mushroom mixture in a blender at high speed to create a homemade cream. Alternatively, you can use a hand blender or immersion blender. Still, it will take a little longer to achieve a smooth texture.
Next, return the pan to medium-high heat and add some olive oil. Add the sliced mushroom caps and seasonings. Sauté everything for a few minutes.
Afterward, add the cooked mushrooms to the soup and serve with garlic croutons.
Popular Substitutions And Additions
This vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe is incredibly versatile and can be easily customized to your tastes. Here are some popular substitutions and additions you can make:
- If you want a creamier texture, add more vegan milk.
- For a smoky flavor, try adding smoked paprika.
- For extra protein, add some cooked quinoa or white beans.
- To add more veggies, try adding spinach or other leafy greens.
- For a cheesy flavor, top your soup with nutritional yeast or vegan cheese shreds.
Can I Freeze Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
Yes, you can easily freeze this vegan cream of mushroom soup. Let the soup cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. This will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you're ready to enjoy it, simply let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat it on the stovetop until warm.
Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup FAQs
How do I store leftover mushroom soup?
Any leftover soup should be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 5 days.
Can I use other types of mushrooms for this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute any type of fresh mushrooms that you prefer. Baby Bella mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, white mushrooms, and button mushrooms will all make a great creamy mushroom soup! Adjust the cooking time if using larger mushrooms.
How do I make this soup gluten-free?
To make this cream of mushroom soup gluten-free, simply omit the white wine and substitute it with more gluten-free vegetable stock.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can easily make this vegan cream of mushroom soup in a slow cooker. Simply add your ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Hand Blender/StandBlender
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 5 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
- 4 mushroom caps sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 potato thinly sliced
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Prepare your vegetables for cooking, wash and cut them.
- In the pan on medium heat add olive oil, chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms and potato, fry it for a few minutes.
- When the vegetables are browned add in species, thyme, coconut milk, wine and vegetable stock, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour it into the blender, add in cashews and blend on high. You can also use hand blender but this will take a little more time until it all smooth.
- Place the pan back to the heat, add in olive oil, sliced mushrooms caps and seasonings, sauté for a few minutes.
- Add fried mushrooms to the soup and serve with garlic croutons.