A grilled zucchini salad is a delicious way to enjoy fresh summer flavors! This healthy vegan recipe has all the goodness of zucchini, garlic, and parsley combined with a light but flavorful dressing.
Why You'll Love This Grilled Zucchini Salad Recipe
Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free- This healthy summer salad is an excellent option for anyone looking to enjoy a delicious meal without worrying about allergens.
Light and Fresh- With a citrus dressing and plenty of fresh ingredients, this salad is perfect for a summer night or as a side dish to your favorite entree.
Versatile- You can add some grilled chicken, fresh basil, crumbled feta cheese, olives, cherry tomatoes, or any other topping you like to make the grilled zucchini salad recipe your own.
What Is Grilled Zucchini Salad?
Grilled zucchini salad is a refreshing and healthy summer salad that typically consists of grilled zucchini, minced garlic, parsley, and a homemade light lemon dressing. The ingredients combine to create a delicious meal with lots of flavors but still light enough for summertime.
- Outdoor Grill or Indoor Grill Pan
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Vegetable Peeler or Mandolin
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Serving Platter or Salad Bowl
- Fresh Zucchini - You can use standard green zucchini squash or different varieties. Yellow summer squash works wonderfully too!
- Garlic- Minced garlic is essential to add a flavorful kick to the zucchini salad dressing.
- Lemon Juice- Fresh lemon juice gives the salad the freshness that makes it so irresistible. You can also use lime, but lemon gives this salad the right flavor.
- Olive Oil- Good extra virgin olive oil makes this whole dish. It is more robust in taste than standard olive oil. You can also use avocado oil if you like. You can add some white wine vinegar if you'd like to make a lemon vinaigrette.
- Parsley- Fresh herbs add a beautiful flavor to this salad. I like parsley, as it sticks to my mildly Mediterranean theme. You can also use fresh basil, fresh mint, or other fresh herbs you love.
- Salt and Pepper- A little salt and pepper boosts the flavor of this salad. It also extracts some liquid from the zucchini, making it easier to eat.
How To Make Grilled Zucchini Salad
When making this grilled zucchini salad, the time is all in the prep! Once you've got that down, your salad will be ready in minutes.
To make your salad, you need to slice your zucchini. Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler is the fastest and easiest way. You will want to shave your zucchini into ribbon-like slices but not too thin since you will grill them. If using a knife, cut your zucchini length-wise. Go slowly to ensure you keep each slice the same size.
Once you have your zucchini prepped, it's time to grill. Lay the cut zucchini down flat on the hot grill pan.
Always ensure your grill is hot enough, as it is the best and quickest way to achieve a perfect char on your zucchini slices. It will only take a couple of minutes on each side.
As your zucchini grills, start to make your dressing. Whisk together your minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, and. salt.
Make sure everything is evenly mixed.
Toss the zucchini with your lemon dressing to coat all the pieces evenly. Serve warm or chilled, with feta cheese or toasted pine nuts on top if you like!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Add other grilled vegetables to this delicious salad recipe, such as onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and yellow summer squash. Add charred corn for a fantastic zucchini and corn salad.
- Garnish the grilled zucchini salad with toasted pine nuts, almonds, or pecans.
- Swap the parsley for fresh mint leaves, cilantro, or fresh basil if that's more your style.
- Change the lemon juice to lime juice, balsamic vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
- For an extra salty bite, top your grilled zucchini salad with crumbled goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, crumbled feta cheese, or parmesan cheese.
Can I Freeze Grilled Zucchini Salad?
No, this salad is best enjoyed fresh. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Grilled Zucchini Salad FAQs
What are the best zucchini to grill?
The best zucchini to use for grilling are those that have an even flesh and are firm. Avoid any that have soft spots or blemishes, as these will not grill as well.
Is grilled zucchini salad healthy?
Yes! This salad is packed with healthy ingredients and vitamins. It's also vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, which makes it an excellent option for anyone looking for a wholesome meal.
How long will leftover grilled zucchini salad keep?
If stored in an airtight container refrigerator, this salad will keep for up to 3 days. However, it's best enjoyed fresh!
Can I make grilled zucchini salad ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the ingredients and store them separately. To assemble the salad, mix everything right before serving.
Roasted Zucchini Salad
- Chopping Board
- 2-3 Garlic cloves
- 2 lb Fresh zucchini
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Chop the garlic cloves finely.
- Add salt, Olive Oil, Lemon juice and Parsley to make the dressing.
- Cut the zucchini into thin strips.
- Grill the Zucchini with no oil.
- Prepare the zucchini by adding the dressing on top and toss.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.