Chickpeas and various veggies tossed in a zesty vinaigrette dressing make this Mediterranean salad irresistible! It's light, refreshing, and the perfect meal for warm weather.
Why You'll Love This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe
- Beautiful- Packed with vibrant, colorful vegetables, this Mediterranean chickpea salad is as pretty to look at as it is mouthwatering to eat.
- Refreshing- This Mediterranean chickpea salad is full of fresh ingredients that make this an ideal dish on a hot day.
- Delicious- The perfect combination of juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumber, feta cheese, and zesty red onions creates a fantastic salad full of flavor.
What Is A Chickpea Salad?
A chickpea salad, or garbanzo bean salad, is a cold dish made with boiled chickpeas and fresh vegetables that is great for meal prep. It usually has some sort of dressing, such as vinaigrette or olive oil, to bring all the flavors together. Chickpea salads and other healthy salad recipes are popular in the Mediterranean diet. They can be served as a main meal or a side dish. The best part about chickpea salads is that it is healthy and delicious. Chickpeas are high in protein, fiber, and other essential vitamins and minerals. They also provide a great source of plant-based protein.
- Small Bowl
- Large Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Stirring Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Olive Oil- Helps to create a creamy base for the dressing. I like using extra virgin olive or avocado oil in this recipe.
- Lemon Juice- Brings out the flavors of the vegetables in the salad.
- White Wine Vinegar- Adds brightness and acidity to the dressing.
- Honey- Provides a hint of sweetness.
- Garlic- Adds a slightly pungent flavor.
- Dried Oregano- Balances out the sweetness of the dressing and adds a woodsy, herbal flavor.
- Salt and Black Pepper- To taste.
- Yellow Bell Pepper- Bell peppers add a sweet, crunchy texture.
- Pitted Black Olives- Kalamata olives are my favorite. They provide a salty, briny flavor to the salad.
- Red Onion- Red onions give the salad a sharp, pungent kick.
- Cucumber- Crisp cucumbers add crunch and texture to this Mediterranean chickpea salad recipe.
- Cherry Tomatoes- Juicy tomatoes add flavor and color to this dish. Grape tomatoes will also work.
- Artichokes- Adds a subtle nutty flavor to the salad ingredients.
- Boiled Chickpeas- Also known as garbanzo beans, serve as a delicious base for the salad and boost protein and fiber.
- Crumbled Feta Cheese- Provides a milky and creamy tanginess that combines all the flavors.
- Thyme and Oregano- For an extra herby kick of flavor.
How To Make A Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
To make this delicious chickpea salad, start by preparing the dressing. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
Cut cherry tomatoes and olives in half using a cutting board, then chop the other vegetables into small pieces. Add chickpeas to the chopped vegetables and mix well.
Garnish with crumbled feta, dried oregano, and thyme before adding the salad dressing. Serve chickpea salad on its own for a light meal that is absolutely delicious, or add grilled chicken or shrimp for added protein.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Chickpeas- You could substitute the chickpeas for other types of beans, such as white beans, pinto beans, or black beans.
- Vegetables- Feel free to mix up the vegetables according to your preference. Some other great options include red bell peppers, zucchini, diced avocado, and green onions.
- Feta Cheese- If you prefer something other than feta cheese, you could use goat cheese, mozzarella, or Parmesan cheese. Use dairy-free vegan feta cheese for a vegan chickpea salad.
- Dressing- Use lime juice instead of lemon juice, and swap out white wine vinegar for red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. You can substitute a store-bought salad dressing like a balsamic vinaigrette dressing, dijon mustard, or any dressing with a tangy flavor instead of making your own.
- Herbs- Mix the fresh herbs and spices to suit your taste. Some other great options include fresh mint, basil, chopped parsley, and fresh dill.
Can I Freeze Mediterranean Chickpea Salad?
No, I do not recommend freezing this salad, as the chickpeas and vegetables will become mushy and unpleasant when thawed.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad FAQs
How do I store leftover Mediterranean chickpea salad?
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Yes! This salad is best when made ahead of time so that the flavors can meld together. Make it at least an hour before you plan on serving it.
How do I boil chickpeas?
To boil chickpeas, simply add them to a pot of boiling water. Boil for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Once they're done, drain them and add them to your salad.
Will canned chickpeas work in this Mediterranean chickpea salad recipe?
Yes. You can absolutely use canned chickpeas in this recipe if you're short on time. Just drain and rinse them before adding them to the salad.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup Pitted black olives
- ½ Red onion
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- ¾ cup Brined artichokes
- 15 oz Boiled chickpeas
- ½ cup Crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp Thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp Oregano
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion, cucumber, and artichokes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes and the olives in half and add them to the rest of the chopped vegetables. Mix in chickpeas and crumbled feta cheese.
- Add the oregano and the thyme.
- Mix and add dressing to the top.
- Enjoy whilst fresh.