You can read their challenge posts here:
Veronica – Of Chocolate and Caramel …
The recipe is from Eric Kayser’s Sweet and Savory Tarts.
For a .pdf version of the recipe, click here.
Yield: One (1) 9″ Square or one (1) 10″ Round tart
Chocolate Shortbread Pastry (to be made a day ahead)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1/2 cup / 125g / 1 stick + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup / 75g confectioners’ sugar
1⁄4 cup / 25g ground hazelnuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 3/5 cups / 200g cake flour (or all-purpose/plain flour with 1 tablespoon replaced with cornstarch)
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1. In a mixing bowl of a food processor, cream the butter.
2. Add the confectioners’ sugar, the ground hazelnuts and the cinnamon and mix together
3. Add the eggs, one by one, mixing constantly
4. Sift in the flour, the baking powder, and the cocoa powder, and mix well.
5. Form a ball with the dough, cover in plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
Milk Chocolate and Caramel Tart
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Refrigeration time: 1 hour
Chocolate shortbread pastry (see recipe above)
1 1⁄2 cups / 300g granulated sugar
1 cup / 240ml heavy cream (30-40 percent butterfat) or crème fraiche
1⁄4 cup / 50g / 3 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 1⁄2 tablespoons / 15g all-purpose/plain flour
1 1⁄4 cups / 300ml whipping cream
1⁄2 lb / 225g milk chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 325 °F / 160 °C / Gas Mark 3.
2. Line the baking pan with the chocolate shortbread pastry and bake blind for 15 minutes.
3. In a saucepan, caramelize 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar using the dry method until it turns a golden caramel color. Incorporate the heavy cream or crème fraiche and then add butter. Mix thoroughly. Set aside to cool.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the whole eggs with the extra egg yolk, then incorporate the flour.
5. Pour this into the cream-caramel mixture and mix thoroughly.
6. Spread it out in the tart shell and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
7. Prepare the milk chocolate mousse: beat the whipping cream until stiff. Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave or in a bain-marie, and fold it gently into the whipped cream.
8. Pour the chocolate mousse over the cooled caramel mixture, smoothing it with a spatula. Chill for one hour in the refrigerator.
Alternate Caramel Method
If you have problems with the dry method, you may use this method.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon corn syrup
Set mixture in a pot over medium-high heat and stir slowly. When the mixture comes to a boil, stop stirring and leave it alone. Wait till desired color is attained .
Proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Melt 1⁄2 cup (100g) granulated sugar in a saucepan until it reaches an amber color. Pour it onto waxed paper laid out on a flat surface. Leave to cool. Break it into small fragments and stick them lightly into the top of the tart.