Watermelon arugula salad is a delicious no-cook recipe with watermelon, arugula, and feta cheese, topped with a homemade citrus dressing. It can be served as a refreshing side dish or main course.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Watermelon Arugula Salad Recipe
Refreshing- With fresh ingredients, this watermelon salad with peppery arugula makes the perfect light and refreshing dish for summer.
No Cook Recipe- This recipe comes together quickly and easily, making it perfect for busy days or summer get-togethers. Plus, no cooking is required, so you have more time to enjoy the beautiful summer weather!
Flavorful- The combination of juicy watermelon cubes, arugula, and citrus dressing is a flavor explosion in your mouth! The sweet watermelon pairs perfectly with the peppery flavor of the arugula, and the dressing ties it together so nicely.
What Is A Watermelon Arugula Salad?
A watermelon arugula salad is a fresh and light summer salad. It consists of cubed watermelon, arugula leaves, feta cheese, and a citrus vinaigrette dressing. Combining these ingredients creates an intriguing flavor profile that will have you returning for more!
The key to making this recipe is to use top-quality ingredients. Fresh, ripe watermelon and crisp, peppery arugula are essential to achieving the perfect flavor. The feta cheese adds a creamy, salty component that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the watermelon. Finally, the homemade citrus dressing combines it with its tangy, zesty flavor.
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
For The Dressing:
- Lemon Juice- Adds tartness and acidity to the dressing.
- Agave Syrup- Lightly sweetens the salad dressing.
- Salt and Pepper- Enhances the other flavors.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- Adds richness and body to the dressing.
For The Watermelon Salad:
- Arugula- Fresh arugula gives the salad a peppery flavor and freshness.
- Fresh Watermelon- Adds sweetness and texture.
- Red Onion or Shallot- Enhances the flavor with its mild onion taste.
- Feta Cheese- Adds a salty, creamy element to the dish.
How To Make Watermelon Arugula Salad
To make this delicious arugula salad, start by making the dressing. Whisk together lemon juice, agave, salt, and olive oil in a small bowl, then set it aside.
Next, toss the arugula, watermelon, and onion in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the top and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top, allow the salad to chill for about 30 minutes, and then serve.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Pickled onions, grilled chicken, or grilled tofu would make delicious additions.
- Add chopped nuts, such as roasted almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, or pistachios, if you want some crunch in your salad.
- Garnish your sweet watermelon salad with fresh basil, fresh mint leaves, or other fresh herbs.
- Add fresh fruit to the salad, such as berries, cantaloupe, or honeydew melon.
- Swap the feta cheese for goat cheese, blue cheese, or mozzarella.
Can I Freeze Watermelon Arugula Salad?
I do not recommend freezing this salad. Lettuce does not freeze well, and the watermelon will become mushy when thawed.
Watermelon Arugula Salad FAQs
What is the best way to store watermelon arugula salad?
Watermelon and arugula salad is best when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last up to 3 days when stored correctly.
Can I still make this watermelon arugula salad recipe without agave syrup?
Yes, you can use pure maple syrup, honey, or sugar instead of agave syrup.
What is the best type of watermelon to use in this arugula salad?
For this arugula watermelon salad recipe, you'll want to use seedless watermelon. If you can't find a seedless watermelon, remove the seeds yourself with a spoon or melon baller.
Can I use a different type of lettuce?
Of course! You can use any combination of greens that you like. Arugula has a peppery flavor, so if you are not a fan, I suggest using baby arugula, baby spinach, or mixed greens instead.
Watermelon Arugula Salad
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 2 cups watermelon
- 1 small onion thinly sliced or shallot
- 2 oz. Feta cheese
Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, agave syrup, salt, and extra-virgin olive oil.
Assemble the Salad
- In a large bowl, toss together arugula, watermelon, and sliced onion. Drizzle over the dressing and stir to combine.
- Add feta on top and chill the salad for 30 minutes.