Zucchini fritters are a perfect way to impress your guests! Not only do they look amazing, but the combination of crunchy zucchini, sweet potatoes, and carrots makes for a mouth-watering experience.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Zucchini Fritter Recipe
Loaded With Veggies- This simple and delicious crispy zucchini fritters recipe is excellent for adding a bit of vegetables to your day. They're packed with zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, and onion.
30-Minute Recipe- It only takes 30 minutes to make zucchini fritters. You can have a delicious snack, side dish, or light meal in no time!
Great For Meal Prep- This is an excellent recipe for the week ahead. Double the batch and freeze the patties for a quick meal or snack whenever needed.
What Is A Zucchini Fritter?
Zucchini fritters are a delicious and nutritious snack, side, or meal that can be prepared in minutes! Made with shredded zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots, eggs, and flour, these cakes are then seasoned to perfection with the herbs and spices of your choice. The combination creates a light, crisp, golden-brown bite. Serve zucchini fritters with dipping sauce or topping off salads.
- Food Processor or Vegetable Grater
- Cheese Cloth
- Garlic Press
- Vegetable Scissors
- Large Plate
- Paper Towels
- Non-Stick Pan
- Zucchini- This main ingredient! Grated zucchini adds a light and subtle flavor.
- Sweet Potato- Provide a subtle sweetness and hearty substance to the fritters.
- Carrot- Adds a slight crunch and sweetness.
- Green Onions- Finely chopped green onions give the zucchini fritters a fresh crunch.
- Garlic Cloves- Minced garlic provides the zucchini fritters with an aromatic touch with a mild flavor.
- Chopped Parsley- Provides a hint of freshness and herbaceous flavor to the fritters.
- Salt and Pepper- To taste.
- Eggs- Used to help bind the ingredients together.
- Rice Flour- Acts as a binding agent and helps to keep the cakes together during cooking.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese- To add a rich flavor.
- Olive Oil- Helps to fry the zucchini fritters.
How To Make Zucchini Fritters
First, you need to prep your zucchini.
With your grater or food processor, grate your zucchini.
Place it in a cheesecloth, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
Then, grate your sweet potato and carrot; these will not need straining!
In the same large bowl, carefully add all your other ingredients, including 2 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil.
Now, heat your pan over medium heat with the rest of your olive oil. Add spoonfuls of the shredded zucchini mixture to the hot skillet.
Depending on your pan size, cooking 4 fritters at a time is best. You will make a few batches, so more oil may be required. While your zucchini mixture cooks, line a plate with paper towels.
Cook the fritters on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Place your cooked zucchini fritters on a paper towel-lined plate.
Once all the fritters are cooked, serve a stack of zucchini fritters with a splash of fresh lemon juice and your favorite dipping sauce, such as tzatziki, hummus, Greek yogurt, or a dollop of sour cream.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- If you're a vegan, you can substitute the eggs for flax or chia egg and use nutritional yeast instead of parmesan cheese. Any shredded cheese can be used in place of parmesan cheese if not following a vegan diet.
- Feel free to add your favorite fresh herbs or spices like onion powder, garlic powder, fresh dill
- Diced bell peppers, red onions, or mushrooms also make great additions.
- For added crunch, add some toasted panko bread crumbs into the mix!
- If you don't have rice flour, any gluten-free blend will work. Also, try using almond flour or coconut flour instead. Wheat flour or all-purpose flour makes absolutely delicious zucchini fritters if you don't have a gluten intolerance.
Can I Freeze These Easy Zucchini Fritters?
Yes! You can freeze zucchini fritters. Let them cool completely, and then place them in a freezer-safe container or bag. To reheat, thaw the frozen fritters for about 10 minutes before heating them in a non-stick pan with a bit of oil over medium heat.
Crispy Zucchini Fritters FAQs
Can I use any other vegetables to make these fritters?
Of course! Any shredded vegetable that holds up during cooking should work. Some good suggestions include cauliflower, broccoli, corn, yellow squash, and parsnips.
What can I serve with zucchini fritters?
Zucchini fritters are delicious and served as a snack or topped onto salads, wraps, and sandwiches. Serve them alongside your favorite dipping sauce, such as tzatziki, hummus, ranch, pesto, salsa, or sour cream.
Can I use frozen zucchini instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use frozen zucchini in this recipe. You don't need to thaw it beforehand. Grate and squeeze the water out as usual.
How do I store leftover zucchini fritters?
Store leftovers in an airtight container. It will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Garlic Press
- Vegetable Scissors
- Kitchen Spatula
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small sweet potato peeled
- 1 medium carrot peeled
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced (can be replaced with 1 tablespoon of garlic powder)
- 2-3 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground pepper or to taste
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup rice flour (Gluten-free or oat flour will be good substitutes)
- ¼ cup ground parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive or avocado oil
- The easiest way to prep the veggies is by using your food processor and set up the small shredding blade. Alternatively, you can use a medium-small grater.
- Grate the zucchini, then squeeze as much water as you can and place them in a large bowl.
- Continue to shred the sweet potato and carrot and add it to the bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients: green onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, rice flour, and cheese. Add 2tablespoon of oil. Using your hands or a kitchen shovel, mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add about one spoonful of mixture into the pan, and gently press it down to create a round shape fritter.
- Cook about 4 fritters at a time, for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favorite dip and enjoy!