This Pumpkin roll is made with a light and fluffy pumpkin spice sponge cake rolled and filled with a lovely cream cheese filling. This is a holiday dessert that is quick and easy to make!
This pumpkin roll is a delicious dessert that will satisfy any sweet tooth. It's perfect for the fall and winter seasons, especially around Thanksgiving time! The recipe couldn't be easier to make and doesn't require a culinary degree to roll out this masterpiece. The cake itself has a rich flavor, and the cream cheese filling adds just the right amount of decadence to make this dish special.
You can serve it on its own or pair it with some whipped cream for an extra touch! You can also customize it by adding more spices or even some pecans on top if you want! With just a few steps and ingredients, you can wow your family and friends with beautiful cake swirls and delectable cream cheese filling. My pumpkin roll recipe is not overly sweet, dense, or sticky. It's just right! It'll be one of your family's favorite pumpkin desserts in no time at all.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- Crowd pleaser - This pumpkin spice cake is sure to please a crowd, whether you're serving it at a holiday party or just for your family!
- Easy - This recipe is so easy that anyone can make it, even if you've never baked it before. It's perfect for beginner bakers.
- Versatile - You can customize this cake however you want by adding different spices or toppings.
- Moist - The pumpkin and spices make this cake nice and moist, so you won't have to worry about it drying out.
Equipment Needed To Make Pumpkin Swiss Roll Cake
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 medium-sized mixing bowl
- 1 large-sized mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 10x15 inch baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Damp kitchen towel
- Chef’s knife
- Electric Hand Mixer
- All-purpose flour
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin puree
- Cream cheese or mascarpone
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (optional)
How To Make A Pumpkin Roll
To make this pumpkin swiss roll, you’ll need to start with your basic cake recipe. You’ll want to mix the dry and wet ingredients separately before combining. Mix together, and then pour the batter on your lined baking sheet. Pop it in the oven and bake. Once done, set the cake on a damp kitchen towel and roll it. While the cake is cooling, start on your cream cheese filling. Beat everything together in a bowl, unroll the cake, and layer the filling on the cake. Roll the cake back up and pop it in the fridge. When ready to eat, add your toppings of choice!
What to Serve/Pair with Your Pumpkin Spice Swiss Roll
If you're looking for something to serve with your cake, I'd recommend whipped cream or ice cream. However, it's also delicious on its own! If you're looking for a festive drink to serve alongside your dessert, try serving some hot apple cider or spiced tea. Of course, you can always go for a classic glass of milk for the kids and a cup of coffee for the adults!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Vanilla Sponge Cake: If you take out the pumpkin spice seasoning, you'll have a vanilla sponge cake as the base for your swiss roll.
- Chocolate Sponge Cake: Replace the pumpkin spice flavoring with cocoa powder for a chocolate sponge cake.
- Coffee Pumpkin Spice Sponge Cake: If you want your swiss rolls to taste like pumpkin spice latte, all you need to do is add instant coffee powder to your cake mixture.
How To Store Your Pumpkin Roll
If you have any leftover cake, I'd recommend storing it in an airtight container. This pumpkin spice roll should last about a week if you keep it covered and refrigerated. You can also wrap individual slices of your Swiss Roll Cake tightly to give people their own single serving size!
Can I Freeze This Pumpkin Roll
This pumpkin spice swiss roll keeps well in the freezer. Individual pieces or the entire cake should be carefully wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a freezer-friendly plastic bag or container. Freeze for a maximum of three months.
Why does my pumpkin swiss roll crack when I roll it?
Moisture is essential for keeping your cake roll from cracking. Overbaking your cake causes it to become too dry, and the lack of moisture will cause the sponge cake to crack when you roll it. Similarly, if you do not wrap the cake in a towel while it is still warm, it will dry out dramatically. As a general rule, you should roll the cake in the towel as soon as it comes out of the oven, allowing it to absorb steam and moisture while cooling entirely in the towel.
Can I make this pumpkin roll ahead of time?
Yes, you can! If you plan to serve the cake rolls within one to two days of making them, keep them tightly wrapped or covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. However, this dessert will only taste best within the first few days.
Can I use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree in this recipe?
Yes! You can replace the pumpkin puree with an equal amount of pumpkin pie filling. Keep in mind that canned pumpkin pie filling is already sweetened and has pumpkin pie spice added to it. You'll most likely want to cut back on the sugar and the spice you add to the cake batter.
What if my cake cracks or doesn't turn out right?
If you find that you spent all the time making this swiss roll and you just can't get it to where it needs to be, don't fret! Turn it into a truffle or cake pop! Take your frustration out on your cake in the best way possible! Crumble it into little pieces and then form it into truffle balls. Place on a fork and dip into white chocolate. For cake pops, just insert a cake pop stick before dipping it in the chocolate coating.
Other Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love
- PUMPKIN VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLES
- VEGAN PUMPKIN PIZZA
- VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE ICE CREAM
- HEALTHY PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIE
- PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD TRIFLE
- VEGAN PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE
- PUMPKIN PANCAKES RECIPE
Pumpkin Spice Roll Recipe
- Baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup sugar
- 12 oz cream cheese or mascarpone
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar optional
- Make the sponge: preheat oven to 375F.
- In mixing bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and sugars.
- In a large whisking bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin puree.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Line10x15-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the sponge mixture over the baking sheet and smooth with spatula. Bake the sponge for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Remove the cake from the pan by holding onto parchment paper. Move cake to a damp kitchen towel and invert it. Peel off the paper and roll the cake, short end to short end. Let cake cool completely. You can also leave the baking paper on, and roll the cake. Peel the paper once the cake is covered with the filling and you start the final rolling.
- Make the filling: in a mixing bowl, beat sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and butter until smooth.
- Spread the filling over cake leaving last ¼ of the cake free.
- Roll the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar and cut into slices.